Thursday, May 22, 2008

EFTA NECS #1 - The Glocester Grind

This was a great course for the first race of the season. Mostly flat, with some buff sections to gain some speed on and some fun berms to rail, and of course there were some really muddy and technical sections thrown in for good measure.

Last year I blew up here, so when I went over the bars and all my GU got buried in the mud in the first half mile I was a little nervous that I was gonna bonk again. This year, I had more early season mountain bike rides so that helped and I felt strong the whole race.

I got a pretty good start, which is key as this race funnels quickly into tight singletrack with little room make any passes in the first mile or so. The group got spread out pretty quickly, but I did catch up to the one of the guys in front of me as he was apparently having chain problems. I didn’t realize it, but him and the leader of our pack DNF’d so I was quickly in the lead.

I held my position and felt like I was keeping a good pace, on my last lap I did get passed by a group of 3 Vet riders but I still finished strong.

Final Results:
1:42.39
1st Place Expert Senior I Men
13th Place in the Expert Class of 35 Men

No comments: